What makes a good blog, gets a lot of traffic, and ensures a motivated user base? That may well be the least rhetorical question about blogging you’ll ever see, and it’s a question you have to ask yourself with every blog you post. If you’re doing online marketing, these are also commercial issues, and you can shoot yourself in the foot very effectively if you don’t have these issues well scouted.
Gaining traffic isn’t so much complicated as requiring a fair bit of work. We’ve come up with a few tips to explain the process:
- SEO – You absolutely must have your SEO up to speed to get good search results. Whether you’re blogging about aliens or zebras, your SEO has to make you visible in this critical area.
- Content - Content isn’t just “king”. It’s your whole blog. These are the materials which define your blog to your users. You need to exercise very strong quality controls over the blog to make sure it appeals to them.
- Style – Blogs, like everything else, benefit from unique selling points. The selling points can be content values, presentation skills, media, graphics, or in most cases combinations of several design and content elements.
- Currency and topicality – News value is a core value in blogging. New information, new information, and new perspectives are the working machinery of getting responses and inputs from users.
- Expertise - Many bloggers actually are experts in their fields. They can produce very high quality content, valuable to their users, and insist on dumbing it down to nursery rhyme level. Don’t do that. Your blog will get a lot more traffic specifically because it meets real user needs.
- Fun – The “entertainment factor” of blogs is usually severely underrated. Some bloggers, ironically including experts, get a bit self-conscious about having fun. As a matter of fact, for internet marketing purposes, fun is better than sales pitches. Never miss an opportunity to have fun, and you’ll enjoy your blogging a lot more, as well.
- Unique materials - Another stunningly underrated feature of blogs is original content, ideas and opinions. As a matter of fact, this was the seminal reason for the blog explosion of the mid-late 90s, and remains a core feature of effective blogging. Not rants, like in the old days, but informed opinions and idea development, are the big traffic-getters.
- Responsive blogging – Remember that your users go to some trouble to get involved and express meaningful views and opinions. Non- responsive blogs tend to irritate blog users. Keep in touch with your public. They’re your best raw information for the blog’s success.
- Specialization – Niche blogs, like niche markets, are based on core users of products, professionals, and other motivated users. Best practice blogging is to develop this area on the same basis as the “Expertise” point above, focusing on specific areas of interest to users.
- Background materials – One of the typical mistakes of bloggers is to provide expert-level material and not provide source materials or links to resources. This is particularly aggravating for users, and reduces SEO values to the blog.
Follow these tips, and your blog will prosper. You’ll also feel a lot more confident about your materials.
- 5 Reasons Writers Should Consider Blogging
- Bucks2Blog – Bloggers Get Paid to Blog.
- Top 50 Muslim Mom Blogs 2011
- Creating the Top 50 Muslim Mom Blogs List – An Intern’s Perspective
- FREE Blog Training All Week at MomWebs Blog Week!