Recently, I’ve gotten into a less-than-healthy habit of browsing for clothes online. Sometimes, the browsing turns into an actual order, and I find myself entering my card number and address onto a store’s website. But don’t get me wrong–I love being able to shop online from the comfort of my own home.
Most of the clothing available for young women my age in department stores are missing sleeves, have unnecessarily big necklines, cut-outs, transparent laces, and are quite form-fitting. Not the typical features one looks for in modest attire.
Oftentimes, I browse casual knee-length dresses to wear as tops over pants with a long-sleeved shirt underneath, or maybe a cardigan on top to cover up where fabric is missing in addition to a hijab. The girls and I in my class at my Islamic school used to laugh (and complain) about the layering we’d have to do. We’d be sweating with all our layers on in a crowded classroom wishing to get the fan on our side, while the boys in their simple T-shirts and no hijab would be fighting for the same fan.
Islamic Outfitters, an online clothing store for Muslim men and women, offers a wonderful alternative. The website sells kurtas, tunics, and abayas for women and thobes for men.
Islamic Outfitters ships super fast! I was very happily surprised to see my package on my porch within a couple days. This is usually one of the downers of online shopping–the wait, but Alhamdulillah, before I had the chance to wonder where my package was in the mail, it had already arrived.
The fabric of the clothing is extremely comfortable. Not having to pile on layers under the hot sun is quite refreshing! My mom and I even stepped out while I had the tunic on, and Alhamdulillah, I’m happy to say the clothes did not cause me any discomfort. I’m looking forward to being able to have a single top on without a cardigan or a shirt underneath in order to cover up while at school. When walking around campus, comfort is huge, but of course presentation matters too. We shouldn’t look like we just rolled out of bed! Alhamdulillah, Islamic Outfitters offers that comfort and presentation in a modest, Islamic way.
I also really appreciate the information the Islamic Outfitters website provides. It lists the style, fabric, and colors of the product, with different images. It also lists “Care Instructions” for when you need to wash and iron the clothes. So, if you take the time to read up a little on the clothes you order, maintaining their appeal and quality should be no problem!
One concern I had with these tops were the lengths of the sleeves. In the pictures on the website, the sleeves seemed a little above the wrists, especially in comparison with the sleeve-length of the abayas. But, Alhamdulillah, the sleeves on the tops I got were perfectly long enough, and I had no complaints.
One recommendation I’d LOVE to see added to the Islamic Outfitters website is hijab! Hijab always completes a Muslimah’s outfit, and many times will make the look. Insha’Allah it’s a must-have item for every season, and I can’t see it going out of style anytime soon.
Notes from Ponn
We’ve been long supporters of Islamic Outfitters, as they’ve been listed on the Eid Gift Guide from our debut year. As a conservative black-only fashionable Muslim mama that I am, I requested our focus on the nice black attire, without even realizing the wonderful potential market of tweens, teens, and twenties hijabis like my beloved Habeeba and oldest daughter that Islamic Outfitters can appeal to.
High-Quality Fabric, Simple Elegant Designs, Highly-Affordable Modest Clothing For Young Hijabis
I agree wholeheartedly with everything Habeeba has shared above, but I cannot stress enough the following:
- Fast delivery, nicely packaged.
- High-Quality Fabric. In addition to the aforementioned Camille in Praline, we also have Marissa in Pink, Harvest in Beige, and Kenya in Beige. Every single piece is made to last years! The craftsmanship of the embroidery or added silk linings is superb, Masha’Allah.
- Simple Elegant Designs. We are simple, classy, elegant, gals. We love less-is-more. Islamic Outfitters adds just the right amount of elegant designs for a gorgeous touch.
- Highly-affordable. Honestly, SubhanAllah, I have linen shirts with silk or embroidered line designs from expensive brand names, and I’ve paid two to four times the price of all the tops we’ve reviewed!
- Expandable. I agree with Habeeba that there’s much room for Islamic Outfitters to expand its incredible line. Alhamdulilah, we’re happy to share that my daughter, an aspiring Islamic fashion designer, will be sharing some future posts on this very topic!
My only recommendation or concern: Although named tunic and kurta, and by the looks of the website, these products are obviously Pakistani/Indian type long shirts. Having never purchased or seen these tops in person ourselves, we were surprised how long they are. My daughter tried them all on, and had to try many different style dresses or skirts and add just the right hijab to “Americanize” it, as we found them to hang on her small frame. Even for this concern, Islamic Outfitters has Size Charts, which list the measurements of every size of their different style products. Either way, we’ll be going shopping for more dresses and skirts…or, Insha’Allah, designing them!
Giveaway: Islamic Outfitters!
Want to add some quality attire to your modest wardrobe? Here’s how you can enter to win a prize from Islamic Outfitters ($50 value):
Monday, August 13, 2012 11:59 pm PST
- You must adhere to all the rules as stated. Shall a winner be chosen who did not follow these rules, he/she will not be eligible to win.
- Comment below telling us why Islamic Outfitters will be a great addition to your modest wardrobe, Insha’Allah.
- The person with the most unique and interesting response as decided by Ponn Sabra will be chosen from the comments section below. (U.S. only)
For Additional Entries
For additional entries, you may choose to complete any one, or all of the below actions. You must write a separate comment for each additional entry you complete below. (Winners are chosen by the number of comments, not the number of actions taken.)
- Become an Islamic Outfitters Facebook Fan.
- Follow Islamic Outfitters @modestclothing on Twitter.
- Follow American Muslim Mom on Twitter @PonnSabra
- Become an American Muslim Mom Facebook Fan.
- Follow American Muslim Mom on Pinterest
- Subscribe to our RSS feed preferably through the email subscription, having the same email address on the comment that you have in the RSS feed. To sign up with your RSS feed reader, click here; or click here to subscribe by email.
- Subscribe to our iTunes RSS feed with one-click subscription here.
- Subscribe to the American Muslim Mom YouTube Channel.
- Follow Ponn Sabra on Google Plus.
- “Like” this page on Facebook with the “Like” button below.
- Share this page on Facebook with the “Share” button below adding a personal note. Leave a comment below with the timestamped URL.
- Join the Muslim Mom Media Network. While it’s not exclusive to Muslim Moms, we will only be promoting Muslim and halal-specific products and services.
- Tweet about this contest with @ponnsabra Tweet this message, but don’t forget to comment below with the new tweet link.
- Add our button on your site, code available on the right sidebar.
- List on our your blogroll with the following text link: <a href=”http://americanmuslimmom.com” title=”American Muslim Mom Blog” target=”_blank”>American Muslim Mom Blog</a>
- Bookmark American Muslim Mom on your browser or your favorite bookmarking site, such as Reddit, Delicious, or Google Bookmarks. You can use one of the “Sharing is Caring” buttons below. [For each action, make separate comments below.]
- Share this post with your favorite social networking site, such as Yahoo Buzz, StumbleUpon, or kirtsy. You can use one of the “Sharing is Caring” buttons below as well. [For each action, make separate comments below.]
Determining a Winner:
- 1 winner will be selected for sharing the most inspiring comment as to why he/she wants Islamic Outfitter’s prize.
Each comment below designates an entry number. We will use And the Winner Is… plugin to pick a random winner from the total number of comments below. The winner will be contacted by email. If no response is received within 48 hours, another winner will be chosen. Confirmed winners will be announced on our Contest Winners Page, which you can refer to at anytime.
Disclosure: We are organizing this campaign on behalf of the American Muslim Mom Media Network. If you’d like to be considered for future campaigns, apply today–it’s free to join! We may have received products free of charge or sponsorship towards the GoFundMe American Muslim Mom (AMM) Foundation campaign. 100% of all profits are reinvested into the growth of the AMM community and educational reasons, please check out AmericanMuslimMom.org for details. We are never influenced in anyway to share only positive remarks. After all, lying is haram (prohibited). You’re welcome to read American Muslim Mom’s disclosure policy and contest disclosure.
- Muslim Toys and Dolls – Fulla Review and Giveaway
- Dapper Snapper Kids Belt Review & Giveaway
- JumpStart Wii Game Review & Giveaway
- Review & Giveaway Contest: Fulla Doll Boutique Set with 2 Outfits ($39.99 Value)
- SmartLab Indoor Outdoor Microscope (IOM) Review and Giveaway