My very best-friend is preparing a baby shower for her neice who’s expecting her first daughter.
And, like wow–Alhumdulilah!
How exciting…the first one in her generation to be called “Mama”!
Anyways, I remember everyone asking what names we had in line during all of my 3 (2 surprise) showers!
Hubby and I were very good…just like we said we didn’t want to know what the gender was…for the surprise, the name will be a surprise to everyone too
It was a personal and wonderful journey of figuring out our first born’s name and glad its still a highly-unique and rare name, with TONS of meaning!
It is reported that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “On the Day of Resurrection, you will be called by your names and by your fathers’ names, so give yourselves good names.” (Hadith Abu Dawud).
I’m very particular, because our first born has a very unique Muslim name…and I use that as a judge to see which is the most thorough database/website to start your glorious journey
So here are some places to start:
- Muslim Baby Name - they have a cool compile your “favorite list”
- Tried and true: Search for Truth. same resources as above.
- MuslimBabyNames.net While not that correct in all their meanings, I like this site for their categories: “Historical names” and “Prophet’s names”
- An excellent Muslim girls’ name PDF here…not many names, but gets you started very well.
- Other muslim baby names listed in this article, I haven’t reviewed them all…but, I’ve reviewed enough and insha’Allah, gave you a great start.
Please share your recommendations below.