Jazaka Allahu Khayrun Sister Rika of Islamic Unit Studies blog for this great guest article, introducing how you can take the lead in helping your child learn more about Islam in a fun, interactive way.
A unit study is an in-depth lesson of a topic that covers multiple areas of a specific topic, such as religion, geography, science, history, art, etc. It is a complete immersion into the topic. This way, students perceive topics in its entirety instead of learning bits and pieces.
Unit studies are mostly used by homeschoolers. But, since Islam and Islamic history or geography etc. is not taught in public schools, a unit study is perfect for any parent willing to educate or assist their children in the learning process.
Unit studies can be on-going: for example, you give tips and resources for anything related to Islam.
Unit studies also work great for children with different learning styles and give multiple options to learn about a topic. For example: Allah the Creator.
- Read from the Qur’an.
- Learn about things Allah created.
- Watch a documentary on fauna or flora.
- Copy work in English or Arabic.
- Read or write a poem.
- Create a diorama with fauna or flora.
- Go on a nature walk and sketch observations.
- Do a web quest on animals.
- Listen to a narration about the beginning of creation.
Unit studies can be project-based, such as studying Ramadan during the months preceding and during Ramadan. Islamic Unit Studies offers numeral Ramadan resources.
The aim of Islamic Unit Studies is to be your one stop for Islamic lesson plans and unit studies ideas and resources. The site offers Islamic learning resources for homeschoolers, parents of school students, teachers, Muslims or non-Muslims taken from the Internet or provided to you by contributors.
If you have extra Islamic resources you’d like to share, we’d love to grow our list. Please comment below.
- Make Ramadan Learning Fun!
- We don’t need School Reform we need an Overhaul
- Free Teacher’s Manuals from The History Channel
- Ramadan Activities for Kids
- List of Connecticut Homeschool Groups & Organizations