Sample Words from the BRAVE Scottish Glossary
The full list is also attached below.
- BUNCH OF GALOOTS: Many fools
- galoot = clumsy, oafish person
- DREADFUL COLLYWOBBLES: Unwanted stomachache or a bad case of the nerves
- collywobbles = upset stomach; intestinal
disturbances or a feeling of apprehension
- JIGGERY POKERY: Nonsense
- JINGS CRIVENS HELP MA BOAB: Oh my!
- Exclamation of bewilderment or exasperation
- LASS: Girl
- LAD: Boy
- MICHTY ME: Wow! Holy cow!
- An exclamation of surprise, shock or being overwhelmed
- NUMPTY: Useless individual
You can download the entire glossary here.
So, are you laughing as much as I was the first time I read some of these? I’m sure I’m not really pronouncing them correctly–I’ll just have to pay attention when I watch the movie.