If you have not already done so, read the first article on homeschooling while pregnant.
I Need Energy!
When pregnant, sometimes you have to muster up the energy just to get out of bed. The days feel long and you feel like you can barely keep up! So, I decided to look up some natural, energy-boosting foods that also have a place in Islam!
Stay Away from the Bad Quick Fixes
Homeschooling while pregnant can be an exhausting task for some moms. While some moms would love a quick caffeine or sugar fix, there are healthier Islamic natural boosters that are safe and blessed for you and your baby that Allah has provided Alhamdulillah!
3 Natural Energy Boosting Foods
- Dates: You do not have to wait until Ramadan to eat dates! This is a special treat Muslims around the world love to eat. Did you know that dates are a natural energy booster? Dates are said to have more potassium than bananas. They are high in fiber and have natural sugars, which when eaten are released to give your body a natural energy boost. Studies are verifying what our Beloved Prophet salallahu alayhi wasalaam has already said. For a nice boost in the morning before you start your day, try chopping a date or two and putting them in a nice hot bowl of oatmeal! Oatmeal is a good breakfast, and I often add raisins to mine, along with the dates.
- Sahih Bukhari 7, 71, 671: Narrated by Sad: I heard Allah’s Apostle saying, “Whoever takes seven ‘Ajwa dates in the morning will not be effected by magic or poison on that day.”
- Water: This is especially important for pregnant women. It’s a must to drink plenty of water! Studies have shown that often times, those who do not drink enough water feel sluggish and tired. I have read drinking one or two glasses of water can aid in a quick pick-me-up. Drinking water has other benefits, such as, getting rid of headaches. If you are low on water, you are more likely to be irritable. I have read several hadith that the Prophet salallahu alayhi wa salaam said the best drink is water, and the most blessed water is Zam Zam water!
- Honey: Honey is another natural energy booster. Now imagine how great it would be to have oatmeal with dates and honey! That is an energy packed breakfast. It’s a healthy way to start the homeschooling day. Honey has many other benefits: good for the immune system, possesses anti-cancer properties, is the sunnah! Some put a teaspoon of honey in their water and drink it–what a great way to combine these natural energy boosters!
- ‘And thy Lord taught the bee to build its cells in hills, on trees and in (men’s) habitations….. there issues from within their bodies a drink of varying colours, wherein is healing for mankind. Verily in this is a Sign for those who give thought’. (Translation of Quran 16:68-69)
Even moms who are not pregnant can benefit from these healthy alternatives to get that much needed energy to function throughout the day. You can even make energizing smoothie drinks with honey and berries, and take it on-the-go in the mornings. I have also been told by friends peanuts are a good source of energy. Walk around eating trail mix throughout the day, drink up the water, and ALWAYS ask Allah to make your days easier, give you the strength to do your best, and give your family the best.
Have you tried any of these as energy boosters? Share your experience in the comments!