As part of the #BBCEarth campaign, we’re sharing with you today: AFRICA. This documentary became available on DVD and Blu-ray starting today February 26, 2013. This documentary just finished airing on Discovery Channel (premiered January 8), which was a Discovery Channel/BBC co-production.
Like One Life, this took 4 years to make, featuring 27 countries. The crew used 553 cameras, spent 100 days on horseback and 601 nights in tents, and consumed 6,526 anti-malarial tablets! How exciting, huh!?
Of the 553 cameras used, only 8 were harmed in the making of Africa: 1 chargrilled, 2 eaten (by a lion and an elephant), 2 mini-helicam crashes & 3 drowned! Wow! Can you imagine!?
“Filming firsts” included the first footage of lizards hunting for flies on the backs of sleeping lions, as well as a new hunting behavior in chimpanzees (hunting for honey using 4 different tools).
Kalahari is the first section of the first DVD. We’re going to take our time watching this series, as there’s so much to gain one-section which is about an hour (yes, not even one-Disc at a time).
Here are some cool highlights for Kalahari:
- Using trickery to gain trust, then using them for food, but only in the Winter.
- Giraffes fighting for the one female, and the green lush land with water.
- Rhinos surprise night socialization.
- The fantastic golden “wheel” spider.
- The hidden cave water, Dragon’s Breathe, and their inhabitants: catfish.
- Leopard’s mom leaving her 2 sons after 1-year, since it’s hard enough to find food for herself and the two of them their first year…hard lessons to learn.
- Billion birds’ 5-week cycle to mate and raise babies.
- Canable beetles uses its blood to spray into the bird’s eyes to protect itself, but when injured its blood attracts its own kind to feed on it even while still alive.
Truly Fascinating Stuff!
AFRICA Giveaway Contest: 3 Winners!
Deadline date: Tuesday, March 5 at 11:59pm PST.
Entries: In the comments below, please state the following 3-things:
1. Which format you’d like to receive, if you win: DVD or Blu-ray.
2. Why you want to win this documentary for your family.
3. What was most interesting to our review. More specifically, how did my family help you become interested in AFRICA?
Winner Selection: The top 3 most creative, fun, inspirational or funny comments will win. Your dedication to spreading the world about this Review and Giveaway will also help us in selecting the winners. For example, you can
- Tweet this blogpost @ponnsabra so we can RT you!
- Share on Facebook tag @AmericanMuslimMom
- Pin on Pinterest tag @AMuslimMom
- Bookmark or share on your favorite social networking site, like Stumble Upon.
- TIP: Use the sharability icons at the bottom of this blogpost.
For every action you take, please comment below with your links!
* Entries must be in the U.S. and 18 years of age.
20% Discount code for AFRICA DVD
Coupon code: AFR213
Valid dates: Thursday, February 27 to Friday, March 1
While I promised a full review of ONE LIFE, I didn’t want to crowd up and create confusion in this particular post, so I’ll do another follow-up later this week. Stay tuned! Now, enter to win this great DVD set!
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post on behalf of BBC Worldwide.
- ONE LIFE BBC Documentary Review – A Must-Watch Family Film!
- One Life – BBC Documentary Review and #BBCEarth Twitter Party
- Hygienna Hysterical Contest Winner Is Sharifah!
- Eid Creations Winners Announced
- Win CNN’s “Unwelcome. The Muslim Next Door” Press Copy DVD – Not for sale