Subhan Allah, All Glory and Praise to Allah, it’s the most glorious time of our year–Blessed Ramadan! With great honor, we are hosting the Ramadan Qur’an-a-Thon Sadaqah Drive for our 4th year. This program has always been on the honor system. However, we’d love to track how much sadaqah dollars our kids are raising; so please share your results this year. More information below, Insha’Allah.
What is a Ramadan Qur’an-a-Thon Sadaqah Drive?
In this post you will find all necessary information to participate:
- The Program’s Purpose/Objective, Deadline Dates, and Contact Information,
- Instructions how to participate, and
- The Qur’an-a-Thon Certification Pledge Form.
This program is designed to be completed completely online again this year. Each participant may register, download pledge forms, seek pledges from local family and friends, have their Qur’an recitation certified by a local official of his/her choice, and then make secured online pledges directly to Islamic Relief USA, or to their local masajid/Islamic centers.
American Muslim Mom launched July 15, 2009 as the first and only online (or offline) blog magazine dedicated to Muslim Moms and their Children in America. With our growing international community of Muslim parents, we are all determined to raise Mu’miniyn in the West (and East), despite any obstacles we may face. As such, American Muslim Mom designed this program with the Purpose and Objectives listed below.
We are determined to reach as many children as possible this year by allowing all children to participate. We graciously ask that you help us recruit participants individually or collectively as part of an Islamic day school, weekend school, homeschool coop, Qur’an/Hifz school, Islamic youth groups, and/or individuals such as public school students who seek private Qur’an tutoring.
Program information is all available on this post, and the only form to downloaded this year is Qur’an-a-Thon Certification Pledge Form.
Narrated Aisha: The Prophet (may the blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said, “Such a person as recites the Qur’an and masters it by heart, will be with the noble righteous scribes (in Heaven). And such a person exerts himself to learn the Qur’an by heart, and recites it with great difficulty, will have a double reward.” (Book #60, Hadith #459, Sahih Bukhari)
Narrated Ibn ‘Abbas: Allah’s Apostle was the most generous of all the people, and he used to be more generous in the month of Ramadan when Gabriel used to meet him. Gabriel used to meet him every night in Ramadan to study the Holy Qur’an carefully together. Allah’s Apostle used to become more generous than the fast wind when he met Gabriel (Book #54, Hadith #443, Sahih Bukhari)
To help young Muslims appreciate and live more closely to the Sunnah of our beloved Prophet Muhammad salallahu alayhi wa salam by
- Learning more ayat of the Qur’an by heart,
- Understanding and appreciating the act of earning money,
- Allowing children to gain a sense of pride by making charitable gifts to the needy, and
- Completing these generous acts in the name of Allah (May He be Glorified) during our blessed month of Ramadan when our rewards are multiplied by the number only Allah knows and wills.
Who may participate?
- Any Muslim child able to recite and memorize Qur’an based on the rules of tajweed up to 18 years of age.
- Muslim children in the U.S. can make sadaqah to Islamic Relief USA and pick his/her preferred charitable campaign (Designation) here, or they may donate to their local masjid/Islamic center.
- Muslim children living outside of the US may make sadaqah to any Islamic institution or charitable organization of their choice.
How are the funds raised in this event?
- Each participating young Muslim will seek sponsorship from friends, family members, and others (Muslims & non-Muslims).
- Each sponsor will determine upon signing a pledge form to pay a predetermined amount of money (example 25 cents or $1) for each ayah (or surah) of the Qur’an that the participant reads with correct tajweed to an Islamic scholar or learned adult during the event*, OR
- The sponsor may also elect to pay a fixed amount of money as sponsorship for the participant regardless of the number of ayahs or surah he/she reads, recites or memorizes (for example: a sponsor may pledge to contribute one set price of $50).
*It is recommended that each participating young Muslim describes the number of ayat (or surahs) which is a realistic amount for that one participant to memorize with correct tajweed with in 30 days. Therefore, no one misleads the one is making a pledge.
How to Participate for Ramadan 1433/2012
- First 10 days of Ramadan [July 20 - 29, 2012] – Memorize as many ayat/surahs with correct tajweed as possible.
- REQUIREMENT: Comment below with your child/ren’s first name and last initial, age and his/her goal for memorizing the Qur’an.
- Second 10 days of Ramadan [July 30 - August 9, 2012] – Continue to memorize as many ayat/surahs with correct tajweed as possible, and be tested by an Islamic scholar or learned adult, called the Examiner. The Examiner must use certify on the bottom of the pledge form and acknowledge with his/her signature how many ayat/surahs the participant recited correctly.
- OPTIONAL: Comment below with your child/ren’s progress so we can help motivate one another.
- Last 10 days of Ramadan [August 10 – August 19, 2012] – Collect the pledge money* and make your sadaqah. U.S. residents can donate directly to IR-USA here. Please let your child/ren pick his/her own designation for his/her sadaqah.
- REQUIRED: Upon completion,
- Email your Pledge form to: contact<at>americanmuslimmom.com. We will post the amount of sadaqah raised based on these completed pledge forms.
- Comment below stating that you completed the program.
*It is critical to collect and return pledges on or before the 30th day of Ramadan, so our children receive the greatest amount of rewards for their hard work and efforts, Insha’Allah.
- Ramadan Qur’an-a-thon is Back! Sadaqah Drive 2011
- American Muslim Mom & Islamic Relief USA Ramadan 2009 Qur’an-A-Thon Sadaqah Drive
- Ramadan Qur’an-a-thon Sadaqah Drive 2010 – Open to All Muslim Kids Worldwide
- 4th Annual Summer Islamic Reading Challenge
- 30 Sadaqah Surprises